Monday 11 June 2012

The Power of a Diagnosis

I've been meaning to write a post about Katelyn's thyroid test she had in March. I'm not going to get into all the technical details...will save that for another day, but after two and a half months on medication, I'm seeing the effects.

Then:
BAD appetite, NOT growing at all, weak and just not getting very strong (ok I know this is also part heart related), very constipated....

Now:
average appetite, its finally possible to manage her constipation, GROWING madly (suddenly rather round face and tummy...I'm all for it! ), SO much STRONGER.

I can't even begin to explain how much stronger she is. How much more determination she has. Its definitely not something that's always been there. She suddenly has the will to want to really try hard, to climb, crawl (however she can) and just go mad!

All it took was, reminding the doctor that we needed to do Thyroid tests...because unfortunately for us DS parents we have to prompt the doctors quite a lot in what tests need to be done and when. But it's worth it :)

For more info on Down Syndrome and the thyroid see this website's article.

No comments:

Post a Comment